Juried/Open Shows: People’s Choice Award –
Katia Parocze, Bellingham, WA – Tapestry
Winners of the Open Show Awards
|Donation From||for the Award||Awarded To|
|Medicine Hat Fibre Arts Society
Medicine Hat, AB
|Barbara White Award – Weaving for the Home||Anita Salmon, Victoria, BC|
|Yellowstone Weavers and Spinners
In honour of Vernice Myers
|Heather Sinclair, Nanaimo, BC|
|Saturday Handweavers Guild
|Wearable/Accessories||Arlene Kohut, Victoria, BC|
Prize Winners: WEAVING
Wearables and Accessories
1st – Sharon Simpson — Networked Scarf
2nd – Sharon Broadley — Collapse Scarf
3rd – Marty Lyon — …and from my stash
Weaving for the Home
1st — Anita Salmon — Stripes and Colour- tea towel
2nd — Brenda Nicolson — Hand Spindles- tea towel
3rd — Colleen Doratti — October- apron
3rd — Lynn Jones — Mustard Top
Hangings, Tapestry and Art
1st — Katia Paroczi — Trees with Birds
2nd — Katia Paroczi — Four Trees
3rd — Heather Sinclair — Skye Cottage
Prize Winners: FELTING
1st Sandi Doerksen — King of the Jungle
Prize Winners: OTHER
Baskets and Containers
2nd — Barbara Powell — Pine Needles on Gourd
The theme for the Open Show is Naturally Wonder-Full. The show is made up of entries from members of ANWG member guilds from the Pacific Northwest of the U.S. and Western Canada including Alaska and the Yukon and east as far as Alberta, Saskatchewan, and Montana. Work to be show includes basketry, weaving, spinning and felting.
The Open Show will be open to the public and admission is free. The show will be in the McKenzie/Sinclair Room in the Cadboro Commons Building.
- Friday June 30th – noon to 5 pm
- Saturday, July 1st – 9 am to 5 pm
- Sunday July 2nd – 9 am to 5 pm
Pickup of items in the Open Show is on Monday, July 3, 9:00 am. If you are picking up an item for someone else, you must have a written authorization from the owner.
Deadline for physical receipt of all entries in Victoria is June 9, 2017.
INSTRUCTIONS FOR MAILING SHOW ITEMS TO TREADLE LIGHTLY:
All out-of-town entries must be mailed to us. You should receive instructions with the address. If you live in Victoria, you can make arrangements to deliver them to us.
DO NOT send your garment by courier if you live outside Canada. The couriers do not handle the customs like the post office does and we are not able to pay any customs fees to receive your garments, so please use the postal service. Postal services can include insurance if you wish.
The person sending the parcel must write on the Customs form as follows:
ITEM FOR PERSONAL USE ONLY. NOT FOR SALE IN CANADA. TO BE RETURNED TO US/ENGLAND, ETC. In the box for the value of the article write $0 or $1 or you may be charged duty in the item.
The deadline for entering work in the Open Show is now passed.
Please send any questions to firstname.lastname@example.org
- To enter, you must be a member in good standing of an affiliated ANWG guild, but you do not need to register for or attend the conference.
- If an entry is the work of more than one person, each individual must be a member of an affiliated ANWG guild and each person must be named in the application.
- The item must not have been previously shown at an ANWG Conference, but may have been shown at a guild or community event.
- Each entry must be original and have been completed between June 2015 and June 2017.
- All items must be ready to hang or display.
- Entries for the Open Show must fit into one of the show categories listed below.
- Individuals are limited to two entries in each category.
- Items received that are not as shown in the photographs submitted will not be accepted.
- The Open Show Committee reserves the right to refuse entries due to space considerations.
Entry Form Requirements
- Each entry must be accompanied by an entry form.
- Entry forms must be received by April 21th, 2017.
- A non-refundable $10.00 Canadian fee must accompany each entry. Upon our receiving your entry form, you will receive two emails, one with an Entry Fee Invoice from PayPal; the other with instructions for where and when to send your physical entry. You may pay your entry fees using your credit card or your PayPal account through a secure link to PayPal.
- Several photographs of each item being entered must support each entry. The Open Show Committee will contact you when your entry form is received to provide you with details on how to send your photos. Please have your photos, in .jpg format, ready to send before you submit your entry form.
- Wearables and Accessories
- Weaving for the Home
- Hangings, Tapestry and Art pieces
- Saori weaving- finished pieces
- Article made using hand dyed yarns- chemical dyes
- Articles made using hand dyed yarns- natural/plant dyes
- Surface Design- including shibori, ikat, warp painting
- Article felted from carded fibres
- Needle felting
- Baskets and Containers
- Books and woven paper
- Articles using recycled materials- rags, thrums, plant fibre, etc. A description of the original material is required.
- Silk Fusion