Juried/Open Shows: People’s Choice Award –
Katia Parocze, Bellingham, WA – Tapestry
Winners of the Juried Show Awards
|Donation From||for the Award||Awarded To|
|Whitbey Weavers Guild
|Best Handwoven for the Home||Christine Purse, Victoria, BC|
|Desert Fiber Arts Guild
|“Other” category – Books||Sandra Brooks, Wellington, New Zealand|
|Central Oregon Spinners and Weavers Guild
|Hangings/Tapestry||Katia Parocze, Bellingham, WA|
|Thompson Valley Weavers
In memory of the late Joan Cameron
|Anita Salmon, Victoria, BC|
|Sheep Creek Weavers Society
|Best in Show
In honour of Mary Andrews
|Katia Parocze, Bellingham, WA|
In memory of Barbara Dowd
|Louise M. Smith, Lumby, BC|
|Seattle Weavers Guild
|The Virginia Harvey Award for the Best Use of Colour||Linda Schultz, Ponte Vedra|
|Midnight Shuttles Spinning and Weaving Guild
Campbell River, BC
|Spinning||Louise M. Smith, Lumby, BC|
|Guild of Canadian Weavers||Nell Steadman Award, Technical Excellence in Weaving||Katia Parocze, Bellingham, WA|
|Complex Weavers||Excellence in Complex Weaving||Deb Turner, Foothills|
Prize Winners: WEAVING
Wearables and Accessories
1st — Deb Turner — Lub Dub scarf
2nd — Anita Salmon — Basic Blue Vest – Beauty is on the Inside
3rd — Mimi Anderson — Scarf – untitled
Weaving for the Home
1st — Linda Schultz — Woven Iridescence – Sunrise, Sunset runner
2nd — Cynara de Goutiere — Pollyanna’s Prisms Pillow
3rd — Christine Purse — Turned Twill Table Mats
Hangings, Tapestry and Art
1st — Katia Paroczi — Bellingham Bay Impressions I
2nd – Linda Schultz — Doubleweave Origami
3rd — Katia Paroczi – Bellingham Bay Impressions II
2nd — Terri Bibb — Placemat Top
Prize Winners: SPINNING
1st — Christine Purse — slub boucle with beads
2nd — Coleen Nimetz — silk boucle
1st — Louise M. Smith — 2 ply cotton collected from pill bottles
Finished Handspun Article
1st — Louise M. Smith — Alpaca lace Shawl
3rd — Doreen Mac Lauchian — Wearable Blanket
Prize Winners: FELTING
1st — Tylar Merrill — Nuno felted Jacket with Knit Collar
2nd — Patti Barker — Stained Glass Shawl
3rd — Tylar Merrill — Shibori Jacket
Prize Winners: DYEING
1st — Toby Smith — Building Blocks of Nature scarf
2nd — Jean Newstead — Blues in the garden knitted shawl
1st — Cynara de Goutiere — Blossoms Drifting in Indigo Stream runner
Prize Winners: OTHER
Baskets and Containers
3rd — Siri McCormick — Soft and Natural Slumped Vessel
Books and Woven Paper
1st — Sandra Brooks — The Journey
1st — Ida Marie Threadkell — Steffie
1st — Sharon Broadley — Tie Scarf
The theme for the Juried Show is Super Natural Celebration. The show is made up of juried entries from members of ANWG member guilds from the Pacific Northwest of the U.S. and Western Canada including Alaska and the Yukon and east as far as Alberta, Saskatchewan, and Montana. Work to be show includes basketry, weaving, spinning and felting.
The Juried Show will be open to the public and admission is free. The show will be in the McKenzie/Sinclair Room in the Cadboro Commons Building.
- Friday June 30th – noon to 5 pm
- Saturday, July 1st – 9 am to 5 pm
- Sunday July 2nd – 9 am to 5 pm
Pickup of items in the Juried Show is on Monday, July 3, 9:00 am. If you are picking up an item for someone else, you must have a written authorization from the owner.
Deadline for physical receipt of accepted entries in Victoria is
June 9, 2017.
INSTRUCTIONS FOR MAILING SHOW ITEMS TO TREADLE LIGHTLY:
All out-of-town entries must be mailed to us. You should receive instructions with the address. If you live in Victoria, you can make arrangements to deliver them to us.
DO NOT send your garment by courier if you live outside Canada. The couriers do not handle the customs like the post office does and we are not able to pay any customs fees to receive your garments, so please use the postal service. Postal services can include insurance if you wish.
The person sending the parcel must write on the Customs form as follows:
ITEM FOR PERSONAL USE ONLY. NOT FOR SALE IN CANADA. TO BE RETURNED TO US/ENGLAND, ETC. In the box for the value of the article write $0 or $1 or you may be charged duty in the item.
Please send any questions to firstname.lastname@example.org
You will be notified by May 16, 2017 as to whether or not your entry has been accepted in the Juried Show. At the same time, if your work is accepted, you will be notified of the address to which your work must be mailed in Victoria or, in the case of local entries, a drop-off address.
The deadline for entering work in the Juried Show is now passed.
- To enter you must be a member in good standing of an ANWG weaver’s guild, but you need not be registered for or attending the 2017 conference.
- If an entry is the work of more than one person, each individual must be a member of an affiliated ANWG guild and each person must be named in the application.
- The item cannot have been previously shown at an ANWG event although it may have been shown at a local guild or other event.
- Entries must be original and have been completed between June 2015 and June 2017.
- Entries for the Juried Show must fit into one of the Show Categories listed below.
- All items must be ready to hang or display.
- Individuals are limited to two entries in each category.
- Items received that are not as shown in the photographs submitted will not be accepted.
- The Juried Show Committee reserves the right to refuse entries due to space considerations.
Requirements for Handspun Skeins only
- All handspun skeins entered in the SPINNING category are to be tied with yarn from the skein.
- Entries in the SPINNING category must include a description, in no more than 50 words, of the planned use of the handspun yarn .
Entry Form Requirements
- Each entry must be accompanied by an entry form.
- Entry forms must be received by April 21st, 2017.
- A non-refundable $10.00 Canadian fee must accompany each entry. Upon submission of your entry form, you will be contacted by email with the instructions for submitting photos of your work and paying your entry fee(s). You may pay your entry fees using your credit card or your PayPal account through a secure link to PayPal.
- Several photographs of each item being entered must accompany each entry. Including several photos of your work showing details of the design and weave will better help the juror to assess your entry. The Juried Show Committee will contact you when your entry form is received to provide you with details on how to send your photos. Please have your photos, in .jpg format, ready to send before you submit your entry form.
- Wearables and Accessories
- Weaving for the Home
- Hangings, Tapestry and Art pieces
- Saori weaving- finished pieces
- Singles yarn- 50 gm or a 2 oz. skein
- Plied yarn- 50 gm or a 2 oz. skein
- Novelty yarn- 50 gm or a 2 oz. skein
- Finished handspun item
- Article made using hand dyed yarns- chemical dyes
- Articles made using hand dyed yarns- natural/plant dyes
- Surface Design- including shibori, ikat, warp painting.
- Article felted from carded fibres
- Needle felting
- Baskets and Containers
- Books and woven paper
- Articles using recycled materials- rags, thrums, plant fibre, etc. A description of the original material is required.
- Silk Fusion