The theme for the Fashion Show is Wild and Wonderful Wearables and it will be held in the Farquhar Auditorium at 7:00 pm on Saturday July 1st, 2017. We look forward to seeing amazing and inspiring handmade items from our fellow ANWG members.
The University Centre Farquhar Auditorium is a professional performance space with a national reputation as an acoustic venue and is the first “surround” hall built in Canada. The architectural design is enhanced by the interior’s stunning wood-lined stage and creative lighting.
Following what is known as a ‘continental’ seating plan, the Farquhar Auditorium’s main floor seats are placed in unbroken rows. Each row has been spaced one foot farther apart than is conventionally done to allow for ample leg room and comfort.
Display of the Garments from the Fashion Show
The display of the garments from the Fashion Show will be held in the Arbutus/Queenswood Room in the Cadboro Commons Building, The display will only open on Sunday, July 2nd from 9 am to 5 pm. Admission is free and the display is open to the public.
Deadline for physical receipt of accepted entries in Victoria is June 9, 2017.
INSTRUCTIONS FOR MAILING SHOW ITEMS TO TREADLE LIGHTLY:
All out-of-town entries must be mailed to us. You should receive instructions with the address. If you live in Victoria, you can make arrangements to deliver them to us.
DO NOT send your garment by courier if you live outside Canada. The couriers do not handle the customs like the post office does and we are not able to pay any customs fees to receive your garments, so please use the postal service. Postal services can include insurance if you wish.
The person sending the parcel must write on the Customs form as follows:
ITEM FOR PERSONAL USE ONLY. NOT FOR SALE IN CANADA. TO BE RETURNED TO US/ENGLAND, ETC. In the box for the value of the article write $0 or $1 or you may be charged duty in the item.
The deadline for entering work in the Fashion Show is now passed.
You will be notified by May 6, 2017 as to whether or not your entry has been accepted in the Fashion Show. At the same time, if your work is accepted, you will be notified of the address to which your work must be mailed in Victoria or, in the case of local entries, a drop-off address.
- To enter, you must be a member in good standing of an affiliated ANWG guild, but you do not need to register for or attend the conference.
- If an entry is the work of more than one person, each individual must be a member of an affiliated ANWG guild and each person must be named in the application.
- The item must not have been previously shown at an ANWG Conference, but may have been shown at a guild or community event.
- Each entry must be original and have been completed between June 2015 and June 2017.
- Entries must be substantially handwoven, hand-felted or knit with handspun yarn.
- All items must be ready to hang or display.
- Individuals are limited to four entries in the Fashion Show.
- Items received that are not as shown in the photographs submitted with the entry form will not be accepted.
- The Fashion Show Committee reserves the right to refuse entries due to space considerations.
Entry Form Requirements
- Each entry must be accompanied by an entry form.
- Entry forms must be received by April 21st, 2017.
- A non-refundable $10.00 Canadian fee must accompany each entry. Upon submission of your entry form, you will receive an email Entry Fee Invoice from PayPal with instructions for paying your entry fees using your credit card or your PayPal account through a secure link to PayPal.
- Several photographs of the item being entered must support each entry. The Fashion Show Committee will contact you when your entry form is received to provide you with details on how to send your photos. Including several photos of your work showing details of the design, colours, materials and weave structure will better help the juror to assess your entry. Please have photos ready to send before you submit your entry form, preferably in .JPG format, to avoid missing the deadline for submission.
Fashion Show Awards
- Most Innovative
- Best Use of Multiple Techniques
- Best Felted Fabric
- Best Handwoven Fabric
- Best Handspun Garment
- Best Overall Construction
- Best Collaborative Effort
- Best Use of Colour and Design
- Best Representation of the Conference Theme
If you have any questions about any facet of the fashion show, please contact the Fashion Show organizers at the following email address: firstname.lastname@example.org