Nothing is far away in Victoria, usually no further than 15 or 20 minutes by car, but the University is out of the way in terms of hotels. Many of the hotels and motels are downtown and you will either have to use a taxi or the bus system if you do not have a car.
July 1st is Canada Day, our national birthday, and this year we are 150 years old. There will be many special events for this year’s celebration and hotel rooms may fill quickly. Don’t wait to book your room until the last minute.
The first place to look for off-campus accommodation for the conference is Tourism Victoria. Their listings include local private and regional campgrounds as well as hotels, motels, and Bed and Breakfasts. When looking for a place to stay, ask if the place has a shuttle bus and whether it will take you to and from the University.
If you want to bring your pet, several hotels in Victoria will accept them for an additional cost. However, while you may bring your dog on to the campus, pets are not allowed in any of the University buildings.
BC Transit runs the bus system in Victoria. Many buses run frequently to the University as it is a major transit hub. However, on Saturday July 1st, buses will operate on the holiday schedule and some routes will be detoured because many streets in the downtown core between Douglas Street, Government Street, and the waterfront will be closed for the Canada Day celebrations.
Daily Parking for Those Staying Off-campus
Please look at the campus map to locate parking close to your classes.
- If you are just attending the conference, you will need to pay for parking on Friday, June 30 only.
- If you are taking a preconference workshop, you will need to pay for parking from Wednesday, June 28 to Friday, June 30.
We recommend that you park in a lot on the OUTSIDE of Ring Rd and buy a daily pass. Lots 1, 2 or 6 are most convenient for conference events.
- $1.50 per hour or portion thereof.
- $8.00 daily maximum until 11:59 pm.
- $3.00 evening maximum from 6:00 pm – 11:59 pm.
- $32.00 weekly permit valid 7 days from date and time of purchase.
Weekly, daily and hourly permits are available from parking dispensers in all lots on the OUTSIDE of Ring Rd. The dispensers accept Canadian quarters, $1 coins, $2 coins, Visa and MasterCard.
In lots on the INSIDE of Ring Rd, some parking meters are available to facilitate short term visitor parking. They accept Canadian quarters, and $1 coins and $2 coins. They vary in length from 1 hour to 2 hours. All other spaces in the Inside lots are reserved during the day.
Parking with a Handicap Parking Permit
Campus Security accepts any valid Handicap Parking Permit including those from out-of-province or out-of-country as long as it is displayed on your front dashboard (or hanging from the mirror).
You may park in any lot including the lots inside Ring Rd. and in any parking space including those marked Reserved. You DO NOT have to park in a handicap only spot. If you park in a spot with a parking meter, you DO NOT have to use the meter. Instead buy your parking pass from the parking dispenser and display it on your dashboard.
- Fort Victoria is probably the closest RV Park and is about 20 minutes from the University.
- Oceanside RV Resort is on the east side of the island about 20 minutes from the University.
- Island View Regional Park offers camping and is about 30 minutes north of the University.
- Thetis Lake Campground and RV Park is about 30 minutes west of the University. Their website is a bit quirky.
- All Fun RV Park is also about 30 minutes west of the University, close to our race track Western Speedway. It offers go-cart racing so it might be noisy or might be right up your street.
- Weir’s Beach RV Resort is set in beautiful rural surroundings to the west of, and about 40 minutes from the University.
- Pedder Bay RV Resort and Marina is set in beautiful rural surroundings to the west of, and a good 40 minutes from the University.
- Goldstream Provincial Park is located about 40 minutes from the University. Camping is very popular in BC, particularly on a holiday weekend, so you will want to reserve a place early.